Our third homework assignement was to write a paragraph about the most fascinating aspect of Irish culture, that I learned about by watching "The Story of Ireland". I watched the first episode, the "Age of Invasions", and I decided to write a paragraph about Newgrange. Here´s the corrected version of my paragraph:
Newgrange
The most fascinating aspect of Irish culture that I learned about by watching
The Story of Ireland was Newgrange. Newgrange is the oldest known building in Ireland and it is located in County Meath. It was built around 3200 bc and it is therefore about 1000 years older than Stonehenge and 500 years older than the pyramids of Gizeh. The building is a large, roughly circular mound. It is approximately 80 meters in diameter and is surrounded at its base by a curb of 97 stones. Many of these stones are carved and show amazing examples of European Neolithic art. A highly decorated entrance stone is the most impressive of these stones. The roof of this historic monument is covered with grass and after 5000 years, the roof is still waterproof. Inside of this big mound is a tomb, which consists of a long passage and a cross-shaped chamber. The most famous feature of Newgrange is a little opening that is situated over the doorway. At dawn on the winter solstice, a shaft of light enters this tiny hole and lights up the chamber inside of the building. In my opinion, it is amazing to see how well-thought-out Newgrange is and what sophisticated buildings people were able to build thousands of years ago.
When Fiona returned that piece of homework to me, I couldn´t believe how well i did. I got 95%, which is amazing and according to Fiona one of the highest grades she has ever given on a homework assignement. I still can´t believe it, now that I´m thinking about it again. ;)
I only made a couple small mistakes and I´m really happy that Fiona liked my paragraph. ;-p
And for those who don´t know what Newgrange looks like, here´s a picture:
No comments:
Post a Comment