Monday, November 11, 2013

Corrected version of second English homework assignment (paragraph about dictionaries)

Our homework task this time was to write a paragraph about our favorite monolingual print dictionary. We had to present good and bad features, that the dictionary offers and explain why it is our favorite one.
Here is my corrected paragraph:

The Cambridge dictionary
 
 
Having looked at a number of monolingual print dictionaries in class this week, I have decided to buy the Cambridge dictionary. The Cambridge dictionary not only explains the meanings of millions of English words; it also contains a study guide and a CD, which I personally find very helpful. The study guide consists of a couple of different parts, such as a writing part and multiple pages with pictures that try to give you a better understanding of certain words. The writing part explains very well how to write different types of texts in the English language and what formal aspects you have to keep in mind. On the CD, you can find a thesaurus. The thesaurus is basically another dictionary, which doesn´t explain the meaning of a word, but gives you synonyms and antonyms of words you are looking up. The reason why I have decided to buy this specific dictionary is that I can not only look up English words that I don´t know, but also get information about text writing, which is a very important aspect of this English class.
 
 
When I got this homework back from my teacher, I was so happy to see that it was a B and not a D, like last time. Thankfully, my grade went up a little bit and I didn´t make that many stupid mistakes this time... ;)
There are still some little things that I could do better, for example: where do I put a comma and where do I not have to put one; a phenomenon that I don´t understand in any of the languages, that I´m studying.... But at least no major mistakes this time, which gives me hope for the upcoming homework assignemts... ;)

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment